Italian-Style Keto Bacon Bomb. Gorgeous, tasty and only 1.8g carbs.
If you’ve come across Bacon Bombs and thought they looked too complicated, I can assure you of the contrary. The bacon weave in particular can seem a bit daunting, but my step-by-step images and recipe instructions make it a breeze. Even if you don’t feel particularly artistic, I urge you to give it a go. Make it once, and bacon weaving will instantly become second-nature.
Of course, there is nothing wrong with just bacon, or just sausages, on their own. But let’s be honest, variety is what makes life interesting. My Italian-Style Keto Bacon Bomb is loaded with herbs, red pepper and gooey cheese, so it’s pretty much an all-in-one meal with flair.
Still, if you’d prefer to serve it with a side, you may want to consider one of these:
How to Make Italian-Style Keto Bacon Bomb
You will need good quality sausages. Look for 97%+ meat, so there are less fillers to bump up the carbs count, and check if gluten-free. Also, smoked streaky bacon (again, check the carbs content), some cheese, red pepper and basil (or parsley). No need for seasoning or spices, unless you decide to inject some heat.
With regards to cheese, you have choices. I like Scamorza, which is a stringy cheese very similar to mozzarella. You can source it in Italian delicatessen shops and sometimes in supermarkets. If you can’t get hold of Scamorza, the next best thing is Mozzarella (dry block, not the ball-in-bag type). Or you might decide to use a cheese you already have in the fridge.
Bacon Weave: Visual Step-by-Step
Below are sequential images for you to follow as a visual guide. I recommend that you do the weave over a large piece of cling film, as it helps with rolling the whole thing up.
Once you’ve assembled the bomb, roast it until the bacon is golden and crisp, rest it, and serve it. If you manage to have any left-overs, they’ll be just as good reheated the following 1-3 days.
You can save this recipe or any recipe you ♥ to your Yummly collection. Scroll past the recipe box and you’ll see the button ↓
Italian-Style Keto Bacon Bomb
- 16 rashers smoked streaky bacon
- 400 g sausages
- 70 g Scamorza - you can also use Dry Mozzarella or Cheddar
- 25 g red pepper
- 1 handful fresh basil
- remove skin from sausages.400 g sausages
- weave the bacon rashers over a sheet of cling film - see images in post for step-by-step visual aid.16 rashers smoked streaky bacon
- spread sausage meat over the bacon weave, up to 1" from the edges.
- pre-heat oven to 180°C static.
- once you've scattered chopped basil, then shredded/chopped scamorza and then thinly sliced/diced red pepper over the sausage meat, carefully roll up into a cylindrical shape with the aid of the cling film, starting from a corner (see Notes) - refer to images in post.70 g Scamorza, 1 handful fresh basil, 25 g red pepper
- turn the roll so you're facing the open seam; tuck into the open sides any cheese or pepper that may have fallen out; seal the sides by folding them upwards and over the roll; roll the bomb back so the open seam is now at the bottom.
- line and tent your roasting pan with foil to catch the juices and reduce fat splatter, insert the rack, then grab your bacon bomb and lay it gently on top, open seam down.
- roast for 45 minutes, then switch to 200°C Circo-Roast or grill boost for a few more minutes to crisp up the bacon.
- rest the bomb for a few minutes, slice and serve.
QueenKETO is a participant in Amazon’s affiliate advertising program. Clicking on a product or ad will re-direct you to the Amazon site. For your purchases, I may receive a small fee, which helps buffer the cost of maintaining and improving this site, at no extra cost to you.