Low Carb Keto Cauliflower Cheese: a recipe that will make you love this vegetable again. And just 4g carbs each serving.
I can guess what you’re thinking… cauliflowers again, bo-ring!
I admit that following the ketogenic regime has its difficulties. Yes, there are very few vegetables that are classed as low carb enough to satisfy ketosis. True, cauliflowers pop up again and again in everything from mash to pizza base. And yes, I get sick of cauliflowers too at times. But NO, this recipe is far from boring.
In fact, I promise you that my Low Carb Keto cauliflower cheese will renew your fondness for this amazing vegetable.
Why cauliflower is the best vegetable whether you follow the ketogenic diet or not.
Simply put, the humble cauliflower is nothing short of amazing. And not just because it is low carb. It belongs to the cruciferous family, and like all cruciferous veggies, it boasts antioxidants, phytonutrients, vitamins, minerals and a vast array of well-documented health benefits. The list of proven benefits in terms of gut and general health has put cauliflower in the superfood category. A well deserved claim to fame.
It’s one of very few vegetables that can be eaten as part of the keto diet to achieve a good level of ketosis, so why not try and find fun and yummy ways to cook it?
How can My Low Carb Keto Cauliflower cheese be so bright yellow in colour?
Aha! There’s the fun bit combined with the healthy bit. I don’t use filters. I am totally clueless about camera trickery. The intense yellow you see in the photos is real. I simply added lots of turmeric to the cauliflower water bath. Not only have I made boring white become fun yellow, but I have added more health benefits to an already healthy dish. Yay!!!
And boy does it taste good!!!!
Apart from the star ingredient, you will need 2 egg yolks, butter, whole milk, cream, mature Cheddar cheese, Parmesan, arrowroot, salt and spices. And about 30 minutes of your time. I had home made sausages with mine. For something different, try it with my easy cheeky pork chops , or perfect fishcakes.
If you have vague memories of school dinners and disgusting, bland cauliflower cheese, banish them immediately! This is a flavoursome side dish that you will not get tired of eating.
N.B. This post has now been updated and is even more leto-friendly. Less Carbs. More Fat. Yippee!!!
- Yield: 6
- Serving: 1
- Calories: 483
- Fat: 45.7
- Net Carbs: 4g
- Protein: 12.4g
- warm up cream, 70g butter, nutmeg and freshly ground black pepper.
- whisk in arrowroot (to avoid lumps, add the arrowroot by sprinkling it in while you whisk).
- continue to whisk until all lumps have disappeared and you have a smooth sauce, then remove from heat and set aside to cool down.
- grate cheeses and reserve 30g of grated parmesan for the topping.
- prepare cauliflower by cutting out leaves and core and dividing into florets.
- put florets in a large tall saucepan.
- add enough water to cover florets by about 2 cm.
- add salt and turmeric and cover with lid.
- bring to the boil, cook 4-6 mins until al dente and drain.
- pre heat oven to 225°C fan (240°C static).
- smear remaining butter over bottomed sides of an oven dish approx 24cm x 18cm and transfer cauliflower florets into it.
- now the cream sauce has cooled, whisk in egg yolks one at a time.
- add the cheeses and stir until nice and smooth; taste and adjust salt/spices if required.
- spoon the sauce onto the florets ensuring they are all well coated.
- sprinkle reserved Parmesan all over the top and bake for 10-12 mins until you see nicely browned peaks.
- remove from oven, rest for a few minutes and serve.
Enjoyed this post? I really value your feedback! Please leave me a comment. If you make this recipe, make my day and post a photo on social media with the hashtag #queenketo. Thank you! 🙂