Low Carb White Lupin Tortilla. Just 1g carbs. Super simple and you only need 15 minutes of your time.
Not just a keto-friendly ‘tortilla’. The quickest, nut-free, and knead-free ‘tortilla’. Yes. That’s right. You make it as if it were a French crêpe, but you cook it for longer, to dry it out. Once it cools, no eggy flavour remains.
You can even make it in advance, store it in a sealed container in the fridge and re-heat it the next day. It will be as good as when you first made it.
Just 3 main ingredients for this Low Carb White Lupin Tortilla.
All you need is dairy whole milk (in the UK, Alra lactose-free whole milk has the same carbs as whipping cream), lupin flour, a little salt, plus an egg. Smear a small frying pan ore crêpe pan with the tiniest bit of coconut oil and you’re good to go.
But let me tell you about lupin. I have been using lupin flour for some time now, both in savoury dishes and cakes. I absolutely love it.
What is Lupin?
Lupin is the seed (or bean) of a legume plant that belongs to the same botanical family as peanuts. Clearly, if you have a peanut allergy you may also be allergic to lupin, so it is best avoided.
The flour is gluten free, grain free, high in fibre, extremely low in carbs, packed with essential amino acids and just as versatile, if not more so, than coconut flour or almond flour. Plus it’s definitely a lot cheaper if you know where to buy it.
Where to find white Lupin flour.
As you already know, I tend to buy my keto, low carb, healthy, organic food stuff from Amazon because of the vast choices available and the savings that come with bulk buying and recurrent purchases. You won’t find lupin flour in UK shops, so Amazon is virtually your only choice, even if it tends to be expensive. However, if you don’t mind looking overseas, there is a reliable on-line supplier that offers a very cost-effective lupin flour that is certified organic and of excellent quality. I buy 3 packs at a time to save on postage and it works out very cheap. It usually arrives within 7-10 days of ordering. Head to the recipe for links and a discount code.
How to make my Low Carb White Lupin Tortilla.
Whisk egg, add a pinch of salt, lupin flour, and whisk again, add milk and whisk once more until smooth.
Let it sit while your pan heats up, then you’re good to go. Pretty simple. You only need to make sure you cook on medium/low heat so that moisture has time to evaporate.
And here it is. A glorious, yummy ‘tortilla’ that has no reason to envy any shop-bought, carb-loaded version. And if you cook it less, or spread the batter out more thinly, you’ll have crêpes. Yey!
You can save this recipe or any recipe you ♥ to your Yummly collection. Scroll past the recipe box and you’ll see the button ↓
Low Carb White Lupin Tortilla
- beat egg until lightly foamy.
- add lupin flour and whisk until smooth.
- add milk and whisk again, making sure there are no lumps.
- whisk and pour 55g of batter (about ½ of the recipe unless you've changed servings) into the pan; tilt it so it spreads evenly all over the bottom.
- cook for 3-4 mins, then check by lifting the edge with a flexible spatula - if it's dry and lifts up easily, flip it over and cook the other side (it helps to slide a spatula underneath in case it's stuck in places); if not, leave it to cook for longer or it will brake when lifted.
- flip again a couple of times - both sides should be dry, with brown speckles, otherwise you'll end up with crêpes, rather than 'tortillas'.
- give the remaining batter a quick whisk and make the second 'tortilla' in exactly the same way as the first one.
- serve with anything you can think of.
QueenKETO is a participant in Amazon’s affiliate advertising program. Clicking on a product or ad will re-direct you to the Amazon site. For your purchases, I may receive a small fee, which helps buffer the cost of maintaining and improving this site, at no extra cost to you.