Sugar Free Low Carb Simple Sponge Cake recipe for all your dessert needs. 1.9g carbs per slice.
Following the ketogenic lifestyle means having to adapt recipes as well as creating dishes that are tasty and exciting.
Plain sponge is the basic ingredient of many desserts. Of course you can follow recipes for various flavour cakes, but sometimes you just need a plain sponge to work with. Once you’ve mastered this sugar free low carb simple sponge cake it will become your keto diet staple. Whether you just fancy a slice for breakfast or with a cup of afternoon tea, or you’re creating a more complicated dessert with filling, icing, or whatever, I promise that you will come back to this recipe time and time again.
Not only is this sugar free low carb simple sponge cake very versatile, it is also extremely easy to make.
Using my favourite method , aka the lazy method ;), everything goes into one-bowl. First you whisk the wet ingredients, then you add the dry ingredients. No need to separate eggs. No need to whisk egg whites in another bowl. Nope! Whole eggs get added one at a time by breaking them directly into the one bowl. Just check that no egg shell falls into the mix. Butter goes in melted, so no elbow work either!
I very much doubt you could find an easier recipe. It literally takes minutes to get the cake mix ready for the oven. The important question is: does it taste good? To which I can honestly answer that you won’t be able to tell the difference between a ‘normal’ but unhealthy sponge cake and this one. No-one who has tried it for me has been able to detect the fact that it was sugar free and low carb. It even got the thumbs up from a fussy 8 year old!
There is a warning flag with this cake: lupin flour comes from the same legume family as peanuts and may cause a peanut-like allergic reaction in certain susceptible individuals. If this applies to you, you may wish to substitute lupin flour with almond fine flour (click HERE for U.S. option) and/or coconut flour (click HERE for U.S. option) although the end result will obviously be different both in flavour and texture.
You may also use Philadelphia cheese or Mascarpone instead of ricotta, with similarly good results. I have added the macros for those options in the recipe.
So now you have my Sugar Free Low Carb Simple Sponge Cake recipe, all you have to do is give it a go.
- Yield: 9
- Serving: 1
- Calories: 146
- Fat: 11.5g
- Net Carbs: 1.9g
- Protein: 7g
- 250g ricotta
- 100g erythritol (click HERE for U.S. option)
- 1 tsp pure stevia powder (click HERE for U.S. option)
- 3 large eggs
- 100g melted unsalted butter
- 70g lupin flour (click HERE for U.S. option) (click HERE for International option - use code CmV5vIU8 for discount at checkout) N.B. Reduce to 50g if using fresh ricotta from the deli counter, which is much drier than the packaged varieties.
- 2 tsp baking powder
- pinch of fine Himalayan pink salt (U.S. option HERE)
- a sprinkle of Sukrin icing 'sugar' (or make your own)
- pre-heat oven to 160C fan (175C static).
- melt butter in the microwave on low setting and set aside to cool down.
- using a hand whisk, blend ricotta, erythritol and stevia
- whisk in whole eggs, one at a time, then add melted butter and whisk a little more.
- add sieved flour and baking powder, plus salt, and mix well.
- pour cake mix into a 24cm x 24cm silicone oven mould or similar (unless using silicone, make sure to butter the mould first).
- bake for about 30 mins until golden brown.
- allow to cool completely before serving with a little sugar free icing sugar sprinkled on top.
Macros if using Mascarpone cheese (Lovilio): Kcals 231; F 21.6g; C 1.9g; P 6.3g.
N.B. Metric kitchen scales are an inexpensive yet invaluable gadget to enable accurate measurement of ingredients. Store them upright in a cupboard or over your worktop and they'll only take up a tiny bit of space. Click HERE for the ones I use (UK Link). For U.S. option click HERE.
Enjoyed this post? Feedback makes all the hard work worthwhile! Please leave me a comment. If you make this recipe, make my day and post a photo on social media with the hashtag #queenketo. Thank you! 🙂
Click on a star to rate it!
Average rating / 5. Votes: