Sugar Free Low Carb Simple Sponge Cake recipe for all your dessert needs. < 2g carbs per slice.
Following the keto lifestyle means having to adapt recipes as well as creating dishes that are tasty and exciting.
Plain sponge is the basic ingredient of many desserts. Of course you can follow recipes for various flavour cakes, but sometimes you just need a plain sponge to work with.
Once you’ve mastered this sugar free low carb simple sponge cake it will become your keto diet staple. Whether you just fancy a slice for breakfast or with a cup of afternoon tea, or you’re creating a more complicated dessert (like my Classic Tiramisù) with filling, icing, or whatever, I promise that you will come back to this recipe time and time again.
Not only is this sugar free low carb simple sponge cake very versatile, it is also extremely easy to make.
Using my favourite method , aka the lazy method ;), everything goes into one-bowl. First you whisk the wet ingredients, then you add the dry ingredients. No need to separate eggs. No need to whisk egg whites in another bowl. Nope! Whole eggs get added one at a time by breaking them directly into the one bowl. Just check that no egg shell falls into the mix. Butter goes in melted, so no elbow work either!
I very much doubt you could find an easier recipe. It literally takes minutes to get the cake mix ready for baking. The important question is: does it taste good? To which I can honestly answer that you won’t be able to tell the difference between a ‘normal’ but unhealthy sponge cake and this one. No-one who has tasted it for me realised it was sugar free and low carb. It even got the thumbs up from a fussy 8 year old!
There is a warning flag with this cake: lupin flour comes from the same legume family as peanuts and may cause a peanut-like allergic reaction in certain susceptible individuals. If this applies to you, you may wish to substitute lupin flour with almond fine flour (click HERE for U.S. option) and/or coconut flour (click HERE for U.S. option) although the end result will obviously be different both in flavour and texture.
You may also use Philadelphia cheese or Mascarpone instead of ricotta, with similarly good results. I have added the macros for those options in the recipe.
So now you have my Sugar Free Low Carb Simple Sponge Cake recipe, all you have to do is give it a go.
You can save this recipe or any recipe you ♥ to your Yummly collection. Scroll past the recipe box and you’ll see the button ↓
Sugar Free Low Carb Simple Sponge Cake
- 250 g ricotta - or cream cheese or mascarpone
- 100 g erythritol (U.S. option HERE)
- 1 tsp pure stevia powder (U.S. option HERE)
- 3 large eggs
- 100 g unsalted butter melted
- 70 g lupin flour (U.S. option HERE or world-wide supply HERE - use code QUEENKETO5 for discount at checkout
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 pinch fine himalayan pink salt (U.S. option HERE)
- 1 sprinkle Sukrin icing 'sugar' or make your own or Swerve confectioner (U.S. options HERE and HERE)
- pre-heat oven to 160°C fan (175°C static).
- melt butter and set aside to cool down.
- beat ricotta with sweeteners.
- whisk in whole eggs, one at a time, then add melted butter and whisk a little more.
- incorporate sifted flour and baking powder, plus salt.
- pour cake batter into a 24cm x 24cm baking tin lined with non-stick baking paper, or silicone cake mould.
- bake for about 30 mins until golden brown.
- allow to cool completely before serving as is or with a dusting of icing 'sugar'.
QueenKETO is a participant in Amazon’s affiliate advertising program. Clicking on a product or ad will re-direct you to the Amazon site. For your purchases, I may receive a small fee, which helps buffer the cost of maintaining and improving this site, at no extra cost to you.