Low Carb Black Bean Spaghetti Carbonara tastes wickedly indulgent but it’s only 3.8g carbs per serving.
Don’t you just love classics that you can turn into keto-friendly dishes? Spaghetti Carbonara was one of my favourite Italian recipes. With fatty pancetta, cream and Parmesan as the core ingredients, it was always going to be a good one for LCHF lovers. Except that wheat spaghetti had to go and something low carb had to come in. The obvious first choice was zoodles, but the carbs count was pretty high and the result was far from impressive. Shirataki noodles weren’t up to scratch either.
Enter healthy black bean spaghetti. They are simply amazing! I’ve been cooking with these for a while now and they never let me down. They cook like pasta, feel like pasta and taste like pasta, but unlike pasta they are nutritionally rich. At 15g carbs per 100g weight, you might feel like they are still too high in carbs. However, black bean spaghetti are extremely filling, so a 40g portion is plenty. Once you add a substantial sauce, you’ll feel very easily full on what seems like a meagre portion of ‘spaghetti’.
Difference between classic Italian Carbonara and Low Carb Black Bean Spaghetti Carbonara
Purist Italian foodies abhor seeing ‘cream’ added to Carbonara recipes. They insist that a genuine Carbonara should consist of only pancetta and eggs. Well, get over it! Cooks all over the world add cream to their Carbonara and it tastes great. My Low Carb Black Bean Spaghetti Carbonara departs even further from the genuine article because it is actually made with whole eggs. I did this intentionally, as I wanted to have a substantial sauce to go with my black bean ‘pasta’, which would otherwise be too dry. Anyway, cream adds extra fat and extra, well, creaminess, so it’s all good from a keto perspective!
I may well cause outraged amongst Italian foodies because of the way I make my Low Carb Black Bean Spaghetti Carbonara. But I don’t care. It’s healthy. It tastes authentic. It’s delicious. It’s filling. It’s very low carb. Happy days.
You can save your favourite recipes to BigOven by clicking on the save ♥ button in the recipe box.
- Servings: 1
- Serving size: 1
- Net Carbs: 3.8g
- fry or bake pancetta until cooked to your liking (I cook it in the halogen oven at 200C on high rack).
- meanwhile, bring a small pan of water to the boil with coarse salt, add black bean spaghetti and cook for 5 mins.
- crack whole eggs into a bowl and whisk.
- add cream, salt, pepper, parmesan and parsley, reserving a little of the last 2 ingredients for final decoration.
- drain the spaghetti and return them to the same cooking pot.
- add egg mix and cooked pancetta to the spaghetti and turn heat to high.
- stir and cook for 1-2mins to pasturise the eggs (don't over cook it or you'll end up with scrambled eggs instead of a creamy sauce).
- transfer to a serving plate and decorate with remaining Parmesan and parsley.
- serve immediately.
Enjoyed this post? Your feedback is important to me! Please leave a comment. If you make this recipe, post a photo on social media with the hashtag #queenketo. Thank you! 🙂