Keto Spanish Omelette with Chorizo. 7g net carbs for a complete meal? Yes, please.
This delicious concoction is actually a hybrid keto recipe. Not quite a Spanish Tortilla. Almost an Italian Frittata. Kind of French Omelette with added bits. So, because chorizo is a Spanish sausage, I named it Keto Spanish Omelette with Chorizo. I apologise to all Spanish, Italian and French foodies out there who may feel that the title I chose for this recipe is inappropriate. Cést la vie. As they say. Whatever you think of the name, it tastes great. And that’s what matters the most, at the end of the day.
Wanna know how this recipe came to life? Totally by fluke.
It was just one of those awful, typically British, rainy, and windy day when I couldn’t bring myself to go food shopping. So I checked the fridge and decided to create a dinner meal with whatever I had. Luckily, it worked. It impressed ketohusband so much that I’ve been making it regularly ever since.
How to Make Keto Spanish Omelette with Chorizo
Eggs. Courgette (zucchini). Red pepper. Ricotta cheese. Cheddar cheese. And chorizo. This delightful Spanish sausage is a flavour explosion. It is also very high in fat content, which means it is a great keto-friendly food. However, you will notice in the recipe that I use reduced fat chorizo. The reason is that the full-fat version releases too much oil when heated. So, unless you fancy an omelette that’s swimming in grease, I recommend following my advice and buying reduced-fat chorizo.
Making it is both easy and quick. Chop your veggies and chorizo, cook them in a little EVOO for a few minutes, then add ricotta, eggs and cheese. Stir and cook for 1-2 minutes. Meh! Admire the unappetising mess and imagine a fail. Have faith! Transfer the mess to a Pyrex or similar baking dish and press down. Top with more cheese, grill (broil) and smile 😉
Now. Don’t cut it immediately, or it will break up and not look pretty. Wait a bit and then serve it.
It’s also great cold, which means it’s ideal for picnics or workplace lunches. But be mindful that my Keto Spanish Omelette with Chorizo is calorie-dense. The macros I have calculated refer to 1/2 of the whole thing. If your macro limits don’t allow that much, have 1/3 instead, maybe with some salad. As a side dish, 1/4 would be plenty.
- Yield: 2-4
- Serving: ½ of whole dish
- Calories: 825
- Fat: 61g
- Net Carbs: 7g
- Protein: 57g
- 4 jumbo eggs (or 5 large)
- 120g fat reduced chorizo sausage
- 1 large red pepper (150g net after removing core and seeds)
- 1 large courgette (150g net once topped and tailed)
- 100g ricotta cheese
- 150g mature cheddar cheese
- ½ TBSP extra virgin olive oil (U.S. option HERE)
- 5g unsalted butter
- 1/16 tsp fine Himalayan pink salt (U.S. option HERE)
- freshly ground black pepper
- remove skin and chop chorizo; slice courgette and red pepper; place in a frying pan with extra virgin olive oil.
- cook on medium-high heat for 5-15 mins (this will depend on the size of your cut pieces and on how soft or crunchy you prefer your vegetables).
- meanwhile, whisk eggs with salt and a generous sprinkle of black pepper; grate or shred cheddar cheese.
- once the chorizo and vegetables are cooked, incorporate ricotta, then the eggs and finally ½ of the grated cheese.
- cook for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally, then transfer to a baking dish smeared with the butter, press down well, and top with remaining cheese.
- grill (broil) for 10-15 minutes until the cheese on top is nicely caramelised.
- serve either warm or cold.
The best way to ensure accurate measurement of ingredients is with Metric Kitchen Scales. They are inexpensive and take up very little space. Click HERE for the ones I use. For U.S. option click HERE.