Easy keto zucchini and radicchio bake: low carb, grain free, gluten free, ketogenic and paleo.
A little bit of guesswork, a little bit of creativity, some every-day ingredients and you can make something different and exciting. Initially designed for 4 servings, it turned out so good that it became keto dinner for two with a healthy side salad.
I just love it when I can make a totally new dish out of bits that I already have.
Sometimes the end result leaves a lot to be desired. Sometimes it’s not quite there but has potential. This one was a definite winner. So much so that I have made it again and again without any changes. Highly unusual for me. As a very typical Virgo perfectionist (and a little OCD if you ask my family) I am rarely satisfied with recipes that I make first time. Even when I’m happy with the result, I tend to modify initial recipes several times, in my quest to achieve better outcomes.
Whilst seeking to perfect recipes I have even managed to lose myself with too many modifications on too many post-it notes and ending up scrapping a dish altogether because of the confusion!
So when a dish turns out better than I had expected, I am truly jubilant. The munch monster literally begged me to keep this one as the original, and so I have.
What is different about my easy keto zucchini and radicchio bake?
The difference is a lovely, crunchy crust and an overall dish that’s bursting with flavour. Zucchini and sweet radicchio, sautéed first in butter and coconut oil, form the base. The creaminess comes from Gorgonzola cheese, the crunchy crust comes form a mix of eggs, double cream, Parmesan cheese and my favourite ingredient: lupin flour. The deep yellow hue comes from turmeric. These days I tend to add this mild spice to pretty much everything I cook. It hardly alters flavours and is so healthy I have become obsessed with it.
Cautionary warning: if you are allergic to peanuts, you may also have an allergic reaction to lupin, although this isn’t always the case. If you’re concerned, consider substituting lupin flour with another low carb flour of your choice. You may have to adjust flour quantity and the end result obviously won’t be the same.
You can serve this on its own as 2 portions, or as 4 lunch portions, or as a side dish. Whichever you choose, my easy keto zucchini and radicchio bake will be a revelation.
- Yield: 2-4
- Serving: 1
- Calories: 809
- Fat: 67
- Net Carbs: 9g
- Protein: 37g
- 2 small zucchini
- 1 small sweet radicchio head
- 30g unsalted butter
- 1 heaped tbsp solid coconut oil (U.S. option HERE)
- 1 garlic clove (minced)
- a sprinkle of organic broth granules
- 2 tsp turmeric powder
- fine Himalayan pink salt (U.S. option HERE)
- freshly ground black pepper
- 3 medium eggs
- 40g lupin flour (U.S. option HERE) (International option HERE - use sponsorship code CmV5vIU8 for discount at checkout)
- 100g double cream
- 70g freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 70g Gorgonzola cheese
- put butter, coconut oil, chopped zucchini and shredded radicchio in a medium frying pan or wok.
- add garlic, broth granules and turmeric, plus salt and pepper to taste.
- cook on medium heat until soft, then transfer to a shallow oven dish about 20cm Ø.
- whisk eggs until frothy, then add flour and a pinch of salt.
- incorporate the cream, adding an extra 20g if the mix is too dry (it should be dense but liquid enough to pour)
- stir in 40g grated parmesan and set aside.
- lay pieces of Gorgonzola on top of the zucchini and radicchio, then pour the egg mix all over.
- top with the remaining Parmesan and cook in halogen oven (mid height rack, medium fan) (U.S. option HERE) at 150ºC for about 50 mins, until a golden crust has formed on top; if using a traditional oven, pre-heat and bake at 150ºC fan (170ºC static).
Metric kitchen scales are an inexpensive yet invaluable gadget to enable accurate measurement of ingredients. Store them upright in a cupboard or over your worktop and they'll only take up a tiny bit of space. Click HERE for the ones I use in the UK. For U.S. option click HERE.
Enjoyed this post? Feedback makes all the hard work worthwhile! Please leave me a comment. If you make this recipe, make my day and post a photo on social media with the hashtag #queenketo. Thank you! 🙂
Click on a star to rate it!
Average rating / 5. Votes:
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Thanks for your feedback!