Zero-Carb Carnivore | Oxtail Stew is pure melt-in-the-mouth yumminess.
With a slow-cooker, it will be cooked to perfection while you get on with life. No slow-cooker? No problem! You’ll need to watch it from time to time, but other than that it’ll be just as easy and just as good.
Applying my usual Italian-style of cooking, I’ve perfected one of the most succulent, richly flavoured protein meal you’ve ever tasted. Go shopping for oxtail and give it a go: you’ll be super impressed, and so will everyone else you share your meals with.
This is the second of a series of Zero-Carb Recipes for my new Carnivore lifestyle. You can find out WHY, WHAT I’m doing, and monthly PROGRESS updates in Carnivore Chronicles. I have not jumped ship. My intention is to return to keto at some point in the future. Until then, I will continue to publish keto recipes between Zero-Carb Carnivore ones.
How to Make Zero-Carb Carnivore | Oxtail Stew
Searing the oxtail pieces is key to locking flavour, so that’s the very first step. After that, add all recipe ingredients and cook very gently for several hours. The result will be intensely-flavoured meat that pulls away form the bone and melts in your mouth.
You can easily do this in a normal pot over minimal heat. In this case, check from time to time to make sure that the oxtail pieces remain submerged in the liquid, and add water or broth if needed.
With a slow cooker, the whole process becomes much less hands-on. I’ve become extremely fond of my recently purchased Ninja Foodi Multi-Cooker. Amongst the many functions is provides, it sears and slow-cooks to perfection. With reduced smells, no fat splatters, and less clean up to do, cooking meat has become a breeze.
I don’t have any affiliation with the Ninja brand. I genuinely think it’s a great machine and a worthy investment.
Once your meat is ready, you’ll want to serve it with some of the cooking liquid.
I don’t discard any leftover liquid. Instead, I pour it in a sealed jar and stick it in the freezer, saving it for another dish or to make a gravy with a jus reduction.
The recipe delivers 4 servings. It’s a rich dish with no ‘bite’, so I highly recommend enjoying it with some liver or crispy bacon as a ‘side’ to add texture and complete the meal.
You can save this recipe or any recipe you ♥ to your Yummly collection. Scroll past the recipe box and you’ll see the button ↓
Zero-Carb Carnivore | Oxtail Stew
- 1.7 kg oxtail
- 60 g ghee or butter
- 20 g extra virgin olive oil (U.S. option HERE)
- 500 ml stock/broth - see recipe for Keto Bone Broth
- 200 ml water enough to almost cover the oxtail pieces - no need to submerge completely
- ½ TBSP fine Himalayan pink salt (U.S. option HERE)
- 1 sprinkle of black pepper
- 1 TBSP Herbes de Provence
- 2 sticks cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- 10 g tomato concentrate purée
- using a Ninja Foodi Multi-Cooker with Sear/Sautée mode, heat fats for a couple of minutes until sizzling, add the meat and sear the pieces until brown on all sides.
- turn machine off, add salt, herbs and spices, followed by liquids.
- stir and enable Slow Cooker mode - Low, for 3 hours, then change to High and cook for another 4 hours.
- turn the meat over a couple of times during the final 30 minutes, so as to baste it in the liquid.
- serve immediately with a couple of tablespoons of the pot juices.
QueenKETO is a participant in Amazon’s affiliate advertising program. Clicking on a product or ad will re-direct you to the Amazon site. For your purchases, I may receive a small fee, which helps buffer the cost of maintaining and improving this site, at no extra cost to you.