Sugar free grain free flour free chocolate cake. Surely with all these frees it cannot possibly taste good. Or can it?
OH YES IT CAN!!!!!
Christmas is approaching fast and it’s Panto time! OH YES IT IS! If you’ve never been to Panto, put it on your list of things to do at least once. It is so much fun. It is a misconception that Panto is just for kids. OH NO IT’S NOT! I promise you no matter how old you are you will absolutely love it. I’m treating the family to an Aladdin Pantomime production at the Queen’s Theatre in Hornchurch next week, and I’m soooo excited I cannot help myself! OH YES YOU CAN! See what I mean? 🙂
But enough Panto drivel! Let’s get back to this amazingly simple chocolate sponge.
No flour. No sugar.
Yes you’ve read that correctly. No flour of any kind is required. All you need is some ground almonds. Sugar is, of course, substituted with erythritol and stevia, the two ‘must have’ ingredients for keto cooks.
Just melt butter, add broken chocolate pieces, add egg yolks whisked with half the sweeteners, add ground almonds, add egg whites whisked with the other half of the sweeteners, and voilà, you have a perfect chocolate sponge mix ready to go in the oven.
The result is a moist, lovely sponge cake that no-one will believe to be sugar free and flour free.
For a more indulgent treat, why not add a dollop of fresh whipped cream or chantilly cream, or maybe pour double cream straight onto it, or have a couple of sugar free ice cream scoops on the side, or cover the sponge with a chocolate ganache if you prefer a richer version. Phewww! So many options! But sometimes less is more. I like this lovely chocolate cake as it is, in the nude, nothing added. The slice in the photos is topped with some whipped cream for the munch monster, who needed extra fat for the day – don’t you just love being contrary on the keto lchf regime? 🙂
Whatever takes your fancy in the end, you’ll be delighted with the consistency and flavour of this SUGAR FREE GRAIN FREE FLOUR FREE CHOCOLATE CAKE.
- Yield: 9
- Serving: 1
- Calories: 400
- Fat: 37g
- Net Carbs: 2.5g
- Protein: 10g
- melt butter in a small heavy base saucepan over very low heat.
- break up the chocolate and add it to the melted butter and salt; keep stirring until all the chocolate pieces have melted and you have a dense, creamy, smooth mix; set aside to cool down.
- separate egg whites from yolks.
- whisk yolks until pale and frothy, then add 50g erythritol and 1 tsp stevia and whisk again.
- add the cooled down chocolate sauce to the egg yolks mixture and blend well, then add the ground almonds.
- pre heat oven to 160°C fan (180°C static).
- whisk egg whites to stiff peaks, incorporating remaining erythritol and stevia a bit at a time as you whisk.
- pour the chocolate mix onto the whisked egg whites and fold until combined.
- transfer to a buttered 20cm x 20cm cake tin or silicone mould and bake for about 30 mins (fan oven) or until an inserted stick comes out clean.
Enjoyed this post? Feedback makes all the hard work worthwhile! Please leave me a comment. If you make this recipe, make my day and post a photo on social media with the hashtag #queenketo. Thank you! 🙂
Click on a star to rate it!
Average rating / 5. Votes:
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Thanks for your feedback!