Keto Savoury Zucchini Loaf. 0.5g carbs per fat slice. Coconut-Free and Gluten-Free.
With its moist texture and slightly cheesy taste, this loaf is just as pleasant on its own as it is as a sandwich bread. It’s quite filling, so a thick slice on its own or slathered with butter will be enough if you feel peckish. Otherwise, jam anything you want between two thinner slices and you’ll have a great, healthy, keto sandwich that’s good for breakfast, lunch, or as a mid-day snack.
My favourite way to eat this, is by topping a couple of slices with scrambled or soft boiled eggs, alongside some crispy bacon. Satisfying and delicious!
Fancy a sweet version instead? Here it is!
How to Make Keto Savoury Zucchini Loaf
Let’s start with the difficult bit. That’s shredding the zucchini and squeezing the life out of it until there’s no more water left. The way I do it is by using a large-hole grater lined with a muslin cloth to catch the shreds. I then wrap the zucchini shreds and form a pouch. Over to the kitchen sink, I squeeze and squeeze, shaking the contents from time to time and then repeating until literally there’s not a drop of liquid left.
It’s important that you take your time doing this, otherwise your ‘bread’ will be soggy in the middle, despite baking it for a long time. Do this step correctly, and you’ll have a moist – not wet, delicious bake.
The remaining steps are super easy. You just need to whip the eggs until frothy and pale, whisk again after adding oil, and then add the dry ingredients. Whisk briefly once more, then stir in the cheese and shredded zucchini using a spatula. Pour the mixture into a 2lb silicone bread loaf mould and bake.
The loaf will deflate once the oven is turned off. It’s inevitable. Because zucchini retain a lot of moisture and this will cause the deflation, no matter how long you bake it for. To minimise this, leave the loaf in situ with the oven door open 45° for 10 minutes, then open the door fully and leave it there. When barely warm, take it out of the mould and place it on a rack so that residual moisture escapes.
That’s it. Wrap it in cling film and store it in your kitchen cupboard for a few days, or refrigerate to keep it fresh for longer.
Don’t forget to check out my Sweet Zucchini Loaf version!
You can save this recipe or any recipe you ♥ to your Yummly collection. Scroll past the recipe box and you’ll see the button ↓
Keto Savoury Zucchini Loaf
- 1 zucchini - medium size, 200g
- 4 large eggs
- 40 g extra virgin olive oil (U.S. option HERE)
- 50 g ground almonds (U.S. option HERE)
- 25 g lupin flour (U.S. option HERE)
- 2 tsp fine psyllium husk powder - 7g (U.S. option HERE)
- ½ tsp fine himalayan pink salt (U.S. option HERE)
- 1 tsp xanthan gum (U.S. option HERE)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda (U.S. option HERE)
- 30 g Parmigiano Reggiano
- shred the zucchini using a large-hole grater, wrap inside a muslin (cheese) cloth and squeeze over and over until no more water escapes; the resulting weight should be 100g - give or take a few grams.1 zucchini
- pre-heat oven to 180 °C static.
- crack the eggs into a large mixing bowl, and whip them with an electric whisk until they become pale and foamy.4 large eggs
- add oil + salt and whisk again.40 g extra virgin olive oil, ½ tsp fine himalayan pink salt
- weigh and mix dry ingredients, tip them into the egg bowl and whisk briefly to combine.50 g ground almonds, 25 g lupin flour, 2 tsp fine psyllium husk powder, 1 tsp xanthan gum, 2 tsp baking powder, ½ tsp baking soda
- stir in Parmigiano and zucchini shreds.30 g Parmigiano Reggiano
- pour the batter into a 2lb silicone loaf mould, level it lightly with the back of a spatula, and bake it for 50 mins.
- the minimise deflation, turn off oven and leave the loaf in situ with the oven door open 45°; after 10 mins, open the door fully, and leave the loaf inside until barely warm.
- take the loaf out of the mould and place it on a rack to cool further and allow residual moisture to escape.
QueenKETO is a participant in Amazon’s affiliate advertising program. Clicking on a product or ad will re-direct you to the Amazon site. For your purchases, I may receive a small fee, which helps buffer the cost of maintaining and improving this site, at no extra cost to you.