Keto Gougère Savoury Cheese Puffs. < 1g carbs in each.
These delightful morsels are delicate, light, and cheesy enough without being overpowering.
They’re perfect as keto canapés, starters, or as an easy-to-grab, every-day snack. Once filled, keep them refrigerated, and either eat them cold or re-heat them for a few seconds in the microwave.
How to Make Keto Gougère Savoury Cheese Puffs
Choux pastry is easier than you might think, with a bit of practice.
If you’re a choux newbie, check out my Keto Italian Bignè post and read my tips for perfect choux. Alternatively, I suggest changing the servings selector to 11 in the header of the recipe card, so as to bake 1/2 a batch to begin with.
The choux ingredients for this savoury version are the same as for the sweet version, except for addition of salt and removal of sweetener. The method is identical.
The cheesy filling is best used as soon as it’s prepared. If you make it 1-2 days ahead and keep it refrigerated, it will turn solid, but you’ll be able to loosen it by re-heating in the microwave for 3-5 seconds.
Gruyère cheese is the best option because it’s quite strong in flavour, but not so pungent as e.g. Parmigiano. Cheddar isn’t really ideal, as even an extra-mature type will taste bland.
You can of course, add other seasoning or even chilli powder if you prefer a bit of heat – entirely up to you.
Classic French Gougères are baked with the cheese mixed into the choux pastry. But I think my version, with the cheese filling instead, is much more satisfying. I hope you’ll agree.
You can save this recipe or any recipe you ♥ to your Yummly collection. Scroll past the recipe box and you’ll see the button ↓
Keto Gougère Savoury Choux Puffs
Make the Choux
- heat water, butter and salt over medium-high heat.40 g butter, 1 pinch fine himalayan pink salt, 100 g water
- weigh and mix remaining dry ingredients.20 g lupin flour, 20 g arrowroot flour, ¼ tsp xanthan gum
- when water begins to boil, remove it from heat source, tip in dry ingredients all at once and immediately combine with a flexible spatula.
- place the pot back over heat and cook for 1-2 minute on low heat, until the paste becomes a doughy mass that comes away from the pan, and a film is visible on the bottom of the pan.
- transfer the dough to a glass mixing bowl, spread it out with the spatula and leave it to cool for a few minutes.
- set aside an oven rack with a sheet of non-stick parchment paper over it.
- prepare a sac à poche in a glass (see photo in blog post ⬆️).
- pre-heat oven to 190 °C static.
- crack the eggs in a small bowl over your scales and check the weight.2 eggs - large
- beat them lightly and (if they weighed more than 100g) discard the excess.
- using your flexible spatula, incorporate the beaten egg a little at a time, whipping with a very low-speed stick whisk (or vigorously with a manual whisk) until the batter is smooth and the blades leave sticky trails.
- fill the sac à poche, snip the end and pipe 22 small mounds (3cm wide) - the batter will ooze out of the sac à poche opening, so move quickly from one to the next, leaving space in between to allow for a bit of spread.
- bake for 10 mins, then reduce oven temperature to 170 °C static and continue to bake for another 20 minutes.
- at the end of baking time, slide the baking rack out and quickly make a slit on the side of each choux, using a skewer or cake tester.
- slide the rack back in and leave to dry further with the residual heat, door fully open.
- the puffs should be completely cool before filling.
Make the Cheese Filling
- combine all ingredients, microwave at 800w for 5-6 seconds, and stir vigorously so it becomes a paste; repeat if necessary.50 g Gruyère cheese, 50 g Mascarpone cheese, 30 g double cream, 1 pinch fine himalayan pink salt, 1 pinch paprika, 1 pinch nutmeg
- scoop into a piping bag fitted with a small round nozzle.
- use the nozzle to punch a hole in your choux puffs and fill them.
QueenKETO is a participant in Amazon’s affiliate advertising program. Clicking on a product or ad will re-direct you to the Amazon site. For your purchases, I may receive a small fee, which helps buffer the cost of maintaining and improving this site, at no extra cost to you.