Sugar free no-bake orange biscuits and a cup of tea anyone?
A steaming cup of tea with a biscuit or two….the quintessentially English custom that is impossible to resist, even on a ketogenic regime.
Tea is simple enough. Biscuits, on the other hand….well, they are just loooong. Or at least they usually are. So what about if you have someone coming over shortly and you have no sweet morsels to offer your guests? Or what about being in a can’t-be-bothered-to-bake mode? Or maybe your oven is out of action.
Enter my delicious sugar free no-bake orange biscuits. Isn’t keto great?
You probably think I must be nuts. No-bake???? Impossible!!!!!
Well, even if you think this maverick idea may be one sandwich short of a picnic, I urge you to trust me.
It will take you less than 5 minutes to prepare the dough + 10 minutes cooking time. No gadgets and no elbow work required. And as an added bonus you will have just ONE bowl to wash up!
How to make my sugar free no-bake orange biscuits in 15 minutes.
The first short cut is to not use cold butter. Instead, put it in a medium Pyrex bowl or similar and shove it in the microwave for a few seconds on low power. It will be a little softer and easier to work with. Don’t over do it, however. The butter must not be allowed to liquefy or you’ll end up with rubbish pastry.
Now just place the bowl over your scales and add to the butter all the other ingredients (except icing sugar) in no specific order. Even the egg (which should be straight out of the fridge) can just be dropped in whole.
Mix well with your hand, squeezing through your fingers. The dough will be quite wet at first, but will become dryer and firmer as you work. If a couple of minutes later the dough is still sticking to your hand and bowl, just add a little more almond flour and work the pastry a few more seconds. When the pastry is malleable, form a flattened ball and place it over a sheet of parchment paper sprinkled with almond flour. Place another sheet of parchment paper on top and work your rolling pin to create a thin pastry sheet, about 2mm thick.
Use whatever pastry cutters you have, or if you don’t have any, use an upside-down glass, and cut out your shapes. Re-work the left-over dough and repeat until you’ve used it all up. As you cut out each shape, sprinkle a little almond flour over both sides, so they don’t stick to your work surface.
Once all the shapes are ready, butter a pancake pan or similar, and heat it up. When the butter starts sizzling, turn the heat down to medium-low and add your shapes.
After a couple of minutes use a silicone spatula to flatten the biscuits evenly. Wait a couple more minutes then turn them over. They should be golden-brown all over on both sides, so you might have to turn them over twice.
Remove the pan from heat and allow the sugar free no-bake orange biscuits to cool down in the pan.
Once cooled, sprinkle some sugar free icing 'sugar' and you’re done.
- Yield: 12
- Serving: 1
- Calories: 78
- Fat: 6.5g
- Net Carbs: 0.5g
- Protein: 4g
- 60g fine almond flour (U.S. option HERE)
- 60g ground almonds (U.S. option HERE)
- 40g erythritol (U.S. option HERE)
- ½ tsp pure stevia powder (U.S. option HERE)
- ¼ tsp xanthan gum (U.S. option HERE)
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- 40g unsalted butter + a small knob to smear on the pan
- 1 medium egg
- zest of 1 orange
- ½ tsp vanilla extract (U.S. option HERE)
- sprinkle of Sukrin icing 'sugar' or make your own
- put the butter in a medium glass bowl and soften it a little in the microwave on low setting.
- add all other ingredients except icing sugar.
- work by hand until dough has a non-sticky consistency.
- sprinkle some almond flour on a sheet of parchment paper and place the pastry on top.
- cover with another sheet of parchment paper (or cling film) and flatten with a rolling pin to 2-3mm height.
- cut out 12 shapes.
- smear butter on a pancake pan and place over high heat.
- when the butter starts to sizzle, reduce heat to a minimum and add the biscuits.
- after 2 minutes, flatten each biscuit with a spatula so they are of uniform height.
- cook on both sides until golden brown all over (about 10 mins in total).
- remove from heat and let biscuits cool down in the pan.
- sprinkle icing sugar and serve.