Sugar Free Keto Vanilla & Chocolate Flan: 2g carbs per slice.
My latest recipe features chocolate. Again. And there will be more. I can’t get enough of it. The good type, that is. 100% cocoa, in fact. But I hate that it’s so bitter. HOW munch monster (aka ketohusband) can stomach it straight out of the wrapper I’ll never understand. I was always a milk chocolate kind of girl. Never into dark chocolate. Let alone pure chocolate. Keto life, however, means I don’t touch the milk stuff anymore (the sugar content is crazy!!!), so dark chocolate it is. And not just ANY dark chocolate, but the one with the LOWEST CARBS. Montezuma’s Absolute Black 100% chocolate, to be precise. I find it extremely bitter, but add stevia and erythritol to it, and it’s transformed.
This Sugar Free Keto Vanilla & Chocolate Flan literally melts in your mouth. It is moist and light and tastes divine.
In my usual style, the recipe is quick, easy, and won’t let you down.
Ingredients for Sugar Free Keto Vanilla & Chocolate Flan.
I’ve already mentioned Montezuma’s Absolute Black 100% chocolate. 8g carbs per 100g chocolate. I buy my stock from Sainsbury’s when it’s on offer. You can use other chocolate, but chances are it will contain more carbs, so you’ll have to adjust the macros.
Unsalted butter is essential. I only ever use Kerrygold.
Lupin flour is my favourite ingredient ever. Cheaper and less carby than almond or coconut flour, but it can be difficult to find. I have placed a link in the recipe that will take you to the online store where I buy my supplies. Warning: lupin seeds belong to the same family as peanuts, so if you have a peanut allergy, it is best that you avoid lupin flour – just in case. If that applies to you, simply replace lupin flour with fine almond flour and the result should be similar.
Coconut milk is readily available in stores. Make sure you use the drinking variety that comes in cartons, not the tinned, thickened stuff. If you’re into organic, home made, natural foods, and you fancy making your own coconut milk that is lower in carbs than any packaged brand, click here for my easy recipe.
Another essential ingredient for this recipe is cream cheese. My favourite is Tesco’s Full Fat Soft Cheese. It has the lowest carb content of all the cream cheeses I’ve scrutinised, just 1.8g per 100g. In comparison, Philadelphia contains 4g per 100g. Big difference. And you know that when you’re aiming at no more than 20-25g carbs a day, every little helps.
With vanilla extract you have choices. Don’t go for the cheaper but nastier vanilla flavourings. I make my own extract (even though I end up giving it away every time!). It’s easy and very cost effective. Click here to find out how.
I’m off to get ready for my long road trip across Europe this weekend. By the time this post will be published, I’ll be over the Alps and Dolomites on my way to Venice. With nuts, cheese, pork scratchings and Sugar Free Vanilla & Chocolate Flan, I won’t need to worry about yucky motorway food…and the dogs might get a few keto treats.
Hope you enjoy the recipe!
- Yield: 8
- Serving size: 1
- Calories: 226
- Fat: 20g
- Net Carbs: 2g
- Protein: 7g
- 250g cream cheese
- 80g erythritol (for U.S. option, click HERE)
- 1 tsp pure stevia powder (click HERE for U.S. option)
- 2 large eggs (separated)
- 70g unsalted butter (melted)
- 50g lupin flour (click HERE for U.S. option, or HERE for International option - use sponsorship code CmV5vIU8 for 5% discount)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract (U.S. option HERE) (or make your own)
- pinch of fine Himalayan pink salt (U.S. option HERE)
- 50g unsweetened dark chocolate (melted) (U.S. option HERE)
- 50g coconut milk (you could make your own)
- whisk egg whites to stiff peaks and set aside.
- pre-heat oven to 160C fan (175C static) and lightly butter a 20-22cm cake mould (best if silicone).
- beat cream cheese, erythritol and stevia.
- incorporate egg yolks, then vanilla extract, melted butter, milk, sifted lupin flour, baking powder and salt.
- whisk in egg whites, with a gentle down-and-up motion so as to retain as much air as possible.
- pour flan mix into cake mould and level it with a spatula or back of a spoon.
- drizzle melted chocolate over the top, then insert a skewer to swirl it in.
- bake 30-35 minutes, cool and serve.