Low Carb Low Calorie Wild Salmon Roll. 1.8g carbs, 169 calories per serving.
Here is another fish-based idea that is both keto and low in calories.
It is difficult to find low carb AND low calorie recipes that fit ketogenic macros. But what are these macros, anyway? Let me explain for those new to the keto lifestyle. You’re aiming at 65-75% fat, 20-25% protein and 5-10% carbohydrates. The carbs in your diet must be low enough and the fats must be high enough, otherwise you won’t produce enough ketones. That’s the basic difference between low carb and keto. With low carb, you’re not necessarily aiming at ketone production. With keto, you most definitely are.
By definition, keto recipes are very high in fats, which means very high in calories. And that’s fine. For most people. But if you’re a serial snacker, or you love grazing on nuts, or you just can’t leave food on the plate even if you’re stuffed, you really need to watch your calories. There is no other way. The basic concept of calories applies to every kind of diet regime: calories in = calories out, or you’ll gain weight.
My Low Carb Low Calorie Wild Salmon Roll recipe is ideal as a ‘light’ keto lunch. Perhaps a bit heavy on proteins, but that balance will shift in favour of fats with the right dinner choice.
It is delicious, accompanied by a couple of slices of Amazing Protein Bread Loaf or a portion of Crunchy Lupin Crackers. And because it is a light lunch, you’ll have plenty of calories left over for a gorgeous dinner feast or even a sweet snack.
Why I Choose Wild Caught Salmon.
When it comes to choosing fish, I always opt for wild caught. Much more expensive than farmed fish, I know. But I prefer to eat uncontaminated foods. Farmed fish is no better than intensive cattle farming, with appalling conditions and a miserable life for the poor animals. Fish born and raised in aquatic farms has limited room to swim, eats manufactured feeds and lives around faeces, drugs and hormones. Couldn’t be further from my idea of ‘healthy’.
Wild caught fish is also nutritionally superior and much lower in calories. Its Omega 3 content, for example, is way higher than its farmed counterpart.
To learn more about the danger of fish farming to our ecosystem and the health risks it poses, click HERE.
Low Carb Low Calorie Wild Salmon Roll is Simplicity in Itself.
No need for fancy ingredients or fancy kitchen equipment. And no cooking.
Just buy thin slices of the best cured salmon you can get, lay them down, add some cream cheese mixed with grated zucchini, some seasoning and roll it up. Put your ‘salami’ in the fridge for a few hours to compact, then serve. That’s it.
- Yield: 2
- Serving size: 1
- Calories: 169
- Fat: 10.5g
- Net Carbs: 1.8g
- Protein: 17g
- grate zucchini (a medium one will suffice) over a muslin cloth or similar and wring over and over until no more juices leak out.
- put 60g of the grated and squeezed zucchini into a mixing bowl, together with the cream cheese, chopped mint and seasoning; stir, taste test and adjust to your preference.
- tear a large piece of cling film and position salmon slices over it so as to obtain a neat square or rectangle.
- spread the cream cheese mix over the salmon.
- roll into a salami shape with the help of the cling film, which will also serve as the wrapper.
- twist both ends to close tightly and place in the freezer for 45 minutes, then transfer it to the fridge unless you wish to eat it immediately.
- when you're ready to serve it, unwrap the salmon roll and decorate it with chive strands and mint (optional).
Metric kitchen scales are an inexpensive yet invaluable gadget to enable accurate measurement of ingredients. Store them upright in a cupboard or over your worktop and they'll only take up a tiny bit of space. Click HERE for the ones I use (UK Link). For U.S. option click HERE.
Enjoyed this post? I really value your feedback! Please leave me a comment. If you make this recipe, make my day and post a photo on social media with the hashtag #queenketo. Thank you! 🙂